Change the boot.ini location on multi boot system

CLONNEN 17:15 02 Aug 05

I have a multi-boot computer with the following setup :

C drive Windows ME
D drive Windows XP SP1
E drive Windows XP SP2

The boot partition is drive C. The trouble is that my Windows ME system may need reinstalling as I am having some problems that I cannot find a solution for. Obviously I cannot just reinstall ME straight over the top of the existing drive C without buggering up the boot-up of Drives D and E.

Is it possible to move the boot.ini file to either Drive D or E, do the reinstall of ME and then move it back onto Drive C. Or would this muck up my being able to boot into the D and E drives?

Do I need to move anything besides the boot.ini file for the booting process?

BurrWalnut 19:48 02 Aug 05

Boot.ini must be on the C drive, along with a few other files.

CLONNEN 08:51 03 Aug 05

This is what I am saying I CANNOT leave it on the C drive because it will be overwritten when I reinstall Windows ME and I will be unable to boot into the two XP operating systems.

I am asking can I temporarily move it (or to be more precise - a copy of it) to another drive letter and then copy it back after the reinstall?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…