Change in boot up procedure

Putz 12:22 24 Jun 07

Hi. My computer runs Windows XP SP2 and has a logitech composite wireless mouse and keyboard.
None of the things described used to happen.
1) If I unplug at the mains (computer is off) or if there is a power cut,the computer does not boot up but displays a screen inviting me to enter Bios or click F1 to continue. However my USB keyboard won't work so I plug in an old PS2 keyboard, press F1 and we are off with a normal boot up. I can then unplug the old keyboard.
2) If, when booting up normally I press the del key I enter the Bios. NB the USB keyboard worked because pressing del gets me into the Bios. However once in Bios the keyboard doesn't work and I have to plug in the old PS2 to navigate around. If I exit Bios and allow the boot up to proceed the USB keyboard and mouse will work again.
If I don't unplug the computer from the wall socket or I don't try to enter bios the computer behaves totally normally.
I used to be able to unplug and have a normal start up and I used to be able to navigate Bios with my wireless keyboard. Any advice welcomed

skidzy 12:25 24 Jun 07

Check your bios boot order:

Should read something like

Hdd / cd/dvd / Floppy / Usb assuming you have Floppy and bootable usb options.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:59 24 Jun 07

Check USB legacy for DOS is enabled in BIOS

Putz 17:08 24 Jun 07

Hi. Thanks for answers.
My Boot up sequence is the same as always:
1)Floppy, 2)HDD, 3)DVD ROM drive...only other choice is "Boot other device" which is enabled.
I have opened and expanded every page of the BIOS without finding any mention of "USB legacy for DOS" so cannot follow your advice...Putz

skidzy 17:52 24 Jun 07

Unless you have ongoing problems where you need the Floppy drive to boot first,try changing the boot order to either Dvd/Hdd/Floppy or Hdd/Dvd/Floppy.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:50 24 Jun 07
  Putz 19:42 24 Jun 07

Hi Skidzy. Re-arranged sequence but unfortunately no change.
Hi Fruit Bat. Followed your link...seems to fit my symptoms exactly although I can't understand why I used to navigate BIOS with my USB keyboard as my BIOS doesn't seem to have the facility to enable "USB Legacy Support". Anyway I shall try to update the BIOS and will let you know how I get on...May be tomorrow as I'm off out now...Putz

skidzy 19:49 24 Jun 07

Beaware updating the bios could render the machine useless !!!!

Most would normally leave the bios alone,but if you feel confident enough and get the correct bios update...well good luck Putz.

Putz 22:03 24 Jun 07

Hi both
I think I've taken this as far as I can. The option of updating my particular version of the BIOS wasn't available in the download section for my motherboard.
I can live with what I've got as normal use of my computer is OK. I'll just make sure that I always keep a PS2 keyboard available for the odd occasion when I might need it. Many thanks...Putz

woodchip 22:07 24 Jun 07

You should not plug or unplug anything other than USB devices when the start button as been pressed. You can fry the motherboard

Putz 22:27 24 Jun 07

Thanks, duly noted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…