Change boot drive letter in WINXP

Anglia76 09:18 27 Feb 05

I recently rebuilt and made the mistake of installing the operating system to E: At the time I was not concerned and carried on installing programmes and generally setting up the PC over several weeks. For various reasons I wish to change the boot drive to C: and would appreciate some advice. I know there is no quick fix, XP doesn't allow this, but is there any way that I can achieve this? I have a spare drive, another computer and some software. Will using a drive image to restore to a new C: drive work or will that confuse the registry?

Eagle

andrew-196854 09:34 27 Feb 05

maybe this will help on the start menu right mouse click my computer and go to manage, then click on disk management then you will see your drive in there right click on that and go to change drive letter and paths hope this helps

SANTOS7 10:44 27 Feb 05

How to assign a drive letter
To assign a drive letter to a drive, a partition, or a volume, follow these steps:
1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

Note If you do not see Performance and Maintenance, go to step 3. Performance and Maintenance appears in Control Panel only if you use Category view. If you use Classic view, Performance and Maintenance does not appear.
3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
5. Click Add.
6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, and then either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use.
7. Click OK.

Methedrine 12:00 27 Feb 05

On the desktop press F1 to get the help centre up. In the search box type "drive letter" and select "Assign, change or remove drive letter".

SANTOS7 12:04 27 Feb 05

you do not need a registry fix follow my instructions and your problem will be sorted........

horticgirl 08:45 28 Jun 05

I also need to do this, my boot drive became "I" because I have a multi-card reader drive installed, which became "C,D,E,F". Most programs are OK, but some insist on looking for "C:\" and not "%". Following SANTOS7 method definitely does not work, XP Disk Management will not allow boot drive letter change. The article in MS knowledge base refers to changing from a drive letter that is NOT the one the OS was installed to, not my situation. Any more help, guys?

ventanas 09:00 28 Jun 05

The only way to do it is in the article in the link supplied by ßéLâ.

It is a very tricky procedure, and prone to errors which could leave you with no boot drive at all. Make sure you read the article thoroughly, and that you understand exactly what you have to do.

ventanas 09:18 28 Jun 05

The two vesions of regedit also need a mention, as far as I am aware this article was orginally written for Windows 2000, as it mentions regedit32.exe. Although this exists in XP (C:\Windows\System32\regedt32) all it is is an instruction to run regedit.exe

Regedit32 could be used to set permissions, as described in the article, something regedit could not do. But now it can be done within regedit. Right click the key and choose permissions.

Make sure that regedit is version 5.1 first.

Whatever you do take a full backup first. both your system, and the registry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…