change boot disk drive

awest3 20:19 15 Apr 09

My daughters XP SP3 machine has two drives in it C (40 gb)and E (320 gb) the C drive is on its last legs and I would like to switch over to booting from the E drive then remove and junk the old C drive. Could someone tell me what steps I need to take to achieve this please. I have acronis backups of both drives and could install a new drive and recover the C backup to it, but this means she will have to buy a new drive (I know its only about £35 for this but why spend money if theres no need). Any help gratefully received as ever.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:24 15 Apr 09

You need to partition the E: drive and copy the Acronis C: backup to the new partition.
Then reset the jumpers on the 320G drive to master. an old drive to slave.

See if it will then boot to the new C: drive, if so then junk the old drive.

awest3 20:31 15 Apr 09

thanks I'll give it a try..whats the easiest way to partition the E drive..?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:32 15 Apr 09

Use Acronis.

awest3 20:42 15 Apr 09

ah...did not know it had that facility....you live and learn....'read the manual' springs to mind...thanks for your help..I'll report back on how I get on...

awest3 21:00 15 Apr 09

The E drive has data on it and Acronis wants to delete the old partion prior to creating new ones..Is there any way to create another partion on an existing drive keeping the old data intact..?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…