CGI Forms, - Basic Help Needed

thegreypanther 14:36 08 Jun 07

I have a website in which visitors can request further information by filling in a CGI Form (the website is hosted by UKHost4U, incidentally).

My problem is that although the form gets successfully posted, the input fields are returned in a totally jumbled order. Hence interpreting the returned form becomes complicated.
Any ideas as to WHY this is happening?
Are there any SIMPLE guides to setting up CGI Forms?

I would also like the facility to direct the user, on completion, to a separate / new web page. Although following "instructions" in a guide that I have, this isn't happening.

Again, any tips will be very welcome.

IntoPCs 15:40 08 Jun 07

Hi emnic
what software do you use to produce your website? Knowing this will help find a solution.

thegreypanther 15:59 08 Jun 07

IntoPCs

I use Macromedia's Dreamweaver for setting up the page and form.
However, the website is hosted by UKHost4U and runs the CGI script in their environment. UKHost4U has a link to a basic guide, click here,
which gives help for getting the correct address for posting etc.
I have set up a test form using an enquiry form from another website (which obviously works for them), but the posted response back to me has the fields in any order you care to mention, - NOT in the logical name / address / telephone number sequence required.
If you can suggest a solution, I would be delighted.

IntoPCs 10:53 09 Jun 07

I don't use Dreamweaver, but in FrontPage I can right click in a form and choose properties. This then gives me all sorts of options for re-arranging field order, setting e-mail destinations, saving data to csv files, and setting a 'conformation ' page.
I'm not suggesting you switch to FrontPage, but I imagine there must be something similar in Dreamweaver if you can find it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant