CGI with C

LeadingMNMs 10:05 27 Dec 04

I'm looking at making my own website, and at some point I intend to use CGI programs. As part of my degree I am covering CGI but using C rather than Perl or another language, and since I am also learning C I really don't what to learn another language.

I believe I am correct this is a problem when it comes to hosting, since the C code has to be compiled on the server, whereas this is not the case with other languages. At the moment this is not a problem since I can compile programs on the University server, however I doubt that this is possible with most hosting packages.

So the simple question is do any of you know of any hosts that allow this ?

Another option would be to just point to the programs on the University, however this may cause problems later due to limitations on drive space.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Forum Editor 10:30 27 Dec 04

but I think you should seriously reconsider. Perl is by far the most popular choice for CGI applications, and for good reason - it has powerful capabilities when it comes to text manipulation, and a superb array of www support modules. Quite apart from anything else, there are literally hundreds of thousands of Perl/CGI script resources readily available on the Internet, and if you;re serious about web design you would find this an absolute godsend in terms of time-saving.

I know of no host company that will allow you to compile on their server, although in theory if they are prepared to allow you to run your own Perl scripts they should allow you a shell account.

Perl scripts would be my choice however.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…