cfg files

march 16:42 13 Nov 04

can anyone tell me what cfg files are & can they be safely deleted?
march

grey george 16:53 13 Nov 04

These are configuration files. It's probably best to leave them alone if don't know what there are for. At least back them up before you delete them, then you can replace them when things stop working.

march 17:04 13 Nov 04

they are files that avg anti virus download when updating & run tests.

A friend has quite a few downloaded & says that it also saves these files when a virus test is run so wondered if they were safe to delete as there will be stacks of them at the rate he runs virus tests on floppy etc

march

Diemmess 17:09 13 Nov 04

A blind but safe way would be to download the latest CCleaner (free) from their website, and run it!

In my experience it removes all the rubbish, and anything it leaves..... you can depend on it, is wanted.

When CCleaner starts on the gritty bits, it offers to make a copy of the registry which you should accept, plonk that on you desktop and you have a sound way back should my prophesy be false!

march 17:19 13 Nov 04

Diemmess

ok will pass that on what website do we need for that please?

VoG II 17:21 13 Nov 04
  grey george 17:24 13 Nov 04

March

I don't use avg so I can't comment on what the files may be for. If these files are large and your short of space, you could try renaming the older ones and see if anything stops working. If all is ok you can then delete them.

In the past I have had to restore my complete system after getting carried away with the house keeping. Modern hard drives are so vast it is safer to leave things that your not sure of alone.

march 17:25 13 Nov 04

VoG™ & Diemmess

Thank you will pass that on & also give it a go myself,

x

march 17:27 13 Nov 04

will tick as resolved
thankyou's to all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…