Certainty of valid Backups

Diemmess 12:19 21 Oct 04

I'm wondering whether some of the advice offered (in good faith on this forum) about restoring a crashed system, really stands up.

Time was, when Ghost and several other programs were necessary in order to make a reliable image which could overwrite the mess and restore happiness!

Where to store the image was the important thing. Ideally a separate HD or if pushed, a separate partition. Ghost and its rivals could also put the image on several CDs if the O/S was that large.

Unfortunately for 98SE, If using a USB external drive, Catch 22 applies. A valid O/S has to be there to recognise USB in the first place. A bootup floppy is not enough.

At what point did the rules change? Which is the earliest version of Windows that can access a USB HD from a floppy, or perhaps a special CD?

mgmcc 12:41 21 Oct 04

Ghost 2003 can create a set of two boot floppies which include either USB1 or USB2 drivers.

The normal Ghost floppy is one disk, but adding USB support moves the actual Ghost application on to a second floppy.

<<Which is the earliest version of Windows that can access a USB HD from a floppy, or perhaps a special CD?>>

It has nothing to do with Windows, because Windows isn't running at the time you are booting to DOS. The hardware needs to support USB peripherals without Windows running, or load USB drivers in DOS.

Diemmess 13:16 21 Oct 04

Thanks for correcting me about the later version of Ghost. (Mine is an early one)

Yes I do understand that Ghost sets out to copy a dormant version of Windows. The whole point is that once Windows is running, everything that is done - "moves the goalposts" data changes, and a "cold" usable copy of itself is not possible.

OK as scanreg /restore helps, but is not the restorative that a good image file is for W98SE......... How good is the built in restore system for XP?

mgmcc 13:30 21 Oct 04

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying. Ghost effectively creates a "snapshot" at a point in time which can be restored in case of a disaster. I have a Ghost image in a USB2 external hard drive and did actually have to restore it to a new hard drive when the one in the PC failed.

Obviously, as soon as you start Windows, that snapshot in the Ghost image file is out of date, but what exactly are you wanting to do? The image file can restore you to the time it was created.

Diemmess 14:49 21 Oct 04

I'm just "rebooting" this thread because I have put the cart before the horse!!

I opened with..........
-< Time was, when Ghost or several other programs were necessary in order to make a reliable image which could overwrite the mess and restore happiness! >-

I have used an early version of Ghost from several years ago, and do understand why it was so successful - it save me several times!

What I didn't realise was that later versions of Ghost and similar programs were quite capable of doing the USB thing. I assumed they didn't.

I was out of touch because since then I have spent a lot of time (and money) running HyperOS which though I would hesitate to recommend it, does many things and much faster.

I shall now feel happier that the simple advice to use Ghost (or others)and store the image on say an external HD, will work and is valid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…