Certain internet programs hang once loaded (on LAN

vinnielo 23:33 31 Oct 03

I'm on a LAN, and it seems programs such as IE6, MSN Messenger and Adobe Acrobat Reader 6 hang just before they display the content.

The only way I can shut them down is to force them down.

I've recently found out that I can unfreeze them by disabling the LAN connection.

Is there some conflict with TCP/IP that doesn't allow the program to fully load? Or is it some other problem?

Possibly related, I've found IE6 just sits there when I turn on the proxy settings, with "Detecting proxy settings" displayed on the status bar. Although I can access the net without the proxy settings, it has been recommended to me by my net connection suppliers that I should use it. I currently use an automatic script, but I've tried entering the details manually, but it still sits.

Vinnie

powerless 23:58 31 Oct 03

Are you using Norton Antivirus 2004?

vinnielo 00:00 01 Nov 03

No.

Got ZoneAlarm Basic, and AVG Free Ed.

powerless 00:03 01 Nov 03

Plan B...

AVG has a "Resident Shield" does it not? Can you disable it (if its running) and see if that cures it.

vinnielo 00:12 01 Nov 03

Seems to be working so far.
I'm even allowed to use the proxy now without it sitting!

Any idea why this may have solved the problem?
Will getting Norton AV cure things?

Will get back to you if it starts messing up again.

powerless 00:23 01 Nov 03

Will getting Norton AV cure things?

err...no as i have (or had) the same problem as you with Norton Auto-Protect.

I did cure it in the end.

"Any idea why this may have solved the problem?" the badge is working too good, it is monitoring your computers activity. Are there ant settings for it that you can change, sensitivity etc?

vinnielo 00:29 01 Nov 03

Settings to change sensitivity?

It's only the Free Edition, y'know! ;)

I'll have a play around for a few days and see what happens. Stay tuned!

vinnielo 00:32 01 Nov 03

I enabled AVG again, and IMMEDIATELY, Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger froze up!!

Just downloaded the latest updates, as well.

muppetmark 17:03 01 Nov 03

Tried disabling heuristics ?

vinnielo 17:11 01 Nov 03

I've switched to Norton now.

What would be the equivalent function?

i have norton 2003 and internet explorer keeps freezing and all i can do is restart the computer.i wonder if the problem is similar to your topic,im using opera now just to see if it happens with that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…