Centrino or Pentium 4 (or AMD?!)?

Pedlow 21:00 10 Aug 05

Hi folks,

I am considering buying a new laptop and would like advice on which processor to go for. I quite like the sound of Intel's Centrino chip and am aware that it is well equipped for Wi-Fi Networking. However, I am also aware that the Pentium 4 processor is obviously the more powerful of the two.
Also, how do AMD chips fair when it comes to laptops?

Thanks.

Strawballs 21:09 10 Aug 05

I am using an HP laptop running mobile AMD Athlon X64 3200+ more than happy

mattyc_92 21:10 10 Aug 05

AMD are just as powerful as Intel, but cheaper......

Technotiger 21:29 10 Aug 05

Hi, it is AMD for me every time!!

Cheers.

DieSse 23:08 10 Aug 05

Centrino is not a processor chip - it's a specification for a laptop defining a set of facilities. Pentium4 Mobile processrs are the ones normally used I believe - but the spec of the laptop should define that clearly. The P4-M is bsically designed to use less power, but run faster due to a larger cache.

Personally I would go for a set up properly designed for laptops - Centrino.

Quote "Centrino Technology - Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology is Intel's patented technology designed specifically for mobile computing with built-in wireless LAN capability and breakthrough mobile performance. It also enables extended battery life and sleek, easy-to-carry notebook PCs. This is Intel's first integrated computing technology designed from the ground up for wireless notebook PCs. With Intel Centrino mobile technology, three components work together to deliver a breakthrough in freedom and connectivity. These components include the Intel® Pentium® M processor, the Intel® 855 Chipset Family and the Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 network connection."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…