Centrino Laptop wont connect to router

Wrinkles 12:58 15 Nov 05

Hi Learned ones
I have spent some time trawling these forums but although similar problems are logged I couldn't find mine. I have a basic knowledge of networks, I maintain a 5 PC one at home and have set up several wireless ones with no problems. However My nephew has just had Telewest broadband installed and wanted his daughters Centrino equipped laptop added via a wireless link. I had a Netgear wireless router so added this to his internet connection ie BB Modem to router - PC(Win98SE) to router with cat5 cable. So far so good, every thing works. Initially set router without firewall or WEP security to enable easy connection. Laptop(XP Home) sees the router signal as strong but won't connect.
Here I find the set up goes over my head. Windows is not exactly forthcoming with details on how to set up Centrino on the network. I tell the network setup to connect, but nothing although the properties page shows a connection established and x Bytes received, but none sent.
Is my problem that it is set to connect to router as an access point, should it be ad hoc?
If anyone can recommend a walk-through I would appreciate it. I don't have the router & laptop spec to hand at the moment but will this evening.
I have tried with router DNS on and off at present IP's are manually assigned 192.168.1.1xx
any help would be appreciated

mgmcc 14:01 15 Nov 05

<<< Windows is not exactly forthcoming with details on how to set up Centrino on the network. I tell the network setup to connect, but nothing although the properties page shows a connection established and x Bytes received, but none sent.>>>

Presumably, in the Wireless Adapter's software (or Windows if you are using that), the Site Monitor has found your Router as an "Available Network" to connect to? Are you saying that highlighting this and selecting "Connect" isn't actually doing anything and the little icon isn't getting its "halo" to show it is connected? If so, do the router's wireless settings include an option to connect to (a) 802.11b only, (b) 802.11g only or (c) both 802.11b and 802.11g? If so, is this properly set for the protocol used by the laptop?

<<< should it be ad hoc? >>>

No, this is only for connections directly between Wireless Network Adapters when connecting two computers without a Wireless Access Point.

<<< at present IP's are manually assigned 192.168.1.1xx >>>

Any particular reason why you are using fixed IP addresses instead of getting them by DHCP from the router? I only ask because using dynamic IP addressing will also help to see if the WiFi adapter and the router are communicating ;-)

Wrinkles 14:31 15 Nov 05

The adaptor in the laptop is inbuilt Centrino. There is no available manual for it so as far as that is concerned I am flying blind. However the windows wireless network setup wizard goes from step to step and ends with what is, to all intents and purposes, the network appears to connect ie it gets its halo. However the laptop can not connect to the PC or the internet and can't ping the router.
If I connect the laptop by cable everything works fine. When I disconnect I disable that connection and reboot
The router is 802.11g BC to 802.11b I reset the setting to connect to "Both" although having tried each individually with the same result. I manually assigned the IP's in an attempt to make the connection but on my next attempt will start again from scratch. Clearly I am missing something, and need to start from scratch with everything uninstalled, disconnected or set to factory default. Then a step by step approach to it with a definitive guide. I have done this several times already and each time all is well until the laptop connection, it see's the router, it registers the signal as strong, it even says its connected but The PC cant see it, it cant see the PC it can't connect to PC or internet.
I am at present waiting for my nephew to dig out the manual for the laptop which should help some and I'm going over on Fri eve to try again.

Wrinkles 23:33 31 May 06

A bit late on updating this but after numerous more attempts, I gave up and they used a cabled connection for a week or so. On my next visit, they live a 35 miles away, I was determined not to be beaten so tried again. Ran the network set up wizard and it connected 1st time, network and Internet. Two weeks later I got a call, it had refused to connect again. I tried various things but no joy spending a couple of hours at it and gave up. Two cups of coffee later one last try and it connected immediately. To date it is still connecting ok, I never did find out the reason for the problem.

De Marcus™ 23:39 31 May 06

I never did find out the reason for the problem.

That's networks for you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…