Centrino - how does it relate in MHz?

Brian-336451 11:55 10 Aug 03

I am considering which purchase to make on a laptop to take abroad with me - I am going to be working abroad so want it to be mobile and to be a basic communication device as well as a full-blown pc.

I wish it to function as a pc as well and have ability to do serious work (for me Office and CorelDRAW functions well) and be an entertainment centre (MP3 and [new to me] DVD playback).

I appear to be faced with a difference in design philosophy between Centrino-based systems and orthodox processors which although faster in clock speed cause reduced battery life.

My question boils down to this, the clock speeds quoted for Centrinos are substantially lower than PC processors.

Is this a fair indication that indeed the whole computer is slower, or perhaps like RISC chips they are equally fast but the design does not need the speed?

This is of course one of the problems with our fixation on 'big engines'.

My favoured option at the moment is an AJP 8080 with 1Gb RAM and a 60Gb hard drive running WinXPPro. Comments?

Lozzy 13:25 10 Aug 03

I have the Centrino chip and a dell and its great I use it with a wireless network and using the same applications as you mention. I can not say I can see any loss in speed. It by far better than my prev Dell Laptop.

Stuartli 14:58 10 Aug 03

Intel's explanation of the Centrino philosophy can be found at:

click here

Wes Tam ;-) 15:09 10 Aug 03

Interesting article at click here

Brian-336451 15:56 11 Aug 03

That about wraps it up. This is exactly what I was looking for and has helped me make a decision based on what is offered - some of which I just plainly did not understand.

So Centrino is the way to go for me. I appreciate your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac