Centrino

Sturmey 00:09 29 Apr 03

If I understand it right (I proably don't) centrino chips are Pentium 4 m processors with Wifi built in, so I wont need to buy a separate wifi card that would usually fit into a pcmia slot on my laptop.

I will still need to get a wifi base unit if I want to connect my laptop to my home network for surfing without wires etc.

Also I believe centrino chips use less power

Just looking for confirmation on my ignorance of this matter, haven't really got a direct question sorry.

Sturmey

DieSse 01:11 29 Apr 03

The horses mouth click here&

temp003 06:11 29 Apr 03

You are right overall.

However, the processor is in fact not a Pentium 4 M, but a new processor called just Pentium M.

For a laptop to sport the Centrino label, it needs 3 things (1) a Pentium M processor; (2) Intel 855 chipset; (3) Intel's own wireless LAN mini-PCI card.

The processor is the most important (and the 855 chipset naturally comes with it). It is no longer a rehash of the desktop processor, but a new design which gives it high efficiency in terms of productivity and power management, even at a lower clock speed (at the moment up to 1.6GHz I think) than Pentium 4 M.

Some manufacturers have made laptops with their own (and not Intel's) wireless card, and as a result cannot call the laptops Centrino, but still use the Pentium M processor and 855 chipset. These laptops are just as good, and so don't limit your choice to "true" Centrino models. The thing to look for is really the Pentium M processor.

Sturmey 14:24 29 Apr 03

For clearing that up, it was very helpful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…