Celeron Vs Pentium

mysterious_543 19:09 11 Mar 04

im thinking of buying a laptop and noticed that the cheaper ones tend to be celerons. is this because they are just a slower chip and so slower chip = lower price or are they just a cheap chip to be avoided and im to stick with a pentium. anyone got any advice pls.

Also can you recommend andy low priced laptops?? Student here = low budget

byfordr 19:13 11 Mar 04

Try click here click here click here click here

Perhaps if you let us know your maximum budget that would help.

I would stick with a pentium (or even amd processor) have always found the celerons a bit weedy.

R

mysterious_543 19:18 11 Mar 04

around the £500 mark

byfordr 19:21 11 Mar 04

Low budget! Does it have to be a laptop you would get a lot more for your money if it was a desktop

R

mysterious_543 19:26 11 Mar 04

Yeah i got a desktop but i need a laptop for when i cant get to my desktop, the sixth form computers arent upto much and doing and ICT A level i could do with a laptop.
You think £500 isnt low when shopping for a laptop. i cant find much for that price unless its really awful or secondhand.

I dont mind buying seconhand but i dont really know what im doing, if I do.

mysterious_543 19:31 11 Mar 04

the sixth form have got some laptops, but amazingly no one that is doing ICT has got one. they have all got to the head of sixth form / IT teacher's (not alevel course) favourite pupils. Some kid is doin PE, geography, history and still got one. How???

Edstow 19:34 11 Mar 04

Pentiums are more expensive because of all the TV and press advertising that has to be paid for:-)

I shouldn't criticise as I make my living from advertising but I often feel that Intel target the wrong audience by prime time televsion advertising.

The essential point is that they are both well known brands doing exactly the same job - making a computer able to perform the calculations it's supposed to make.

Buy whichever you can afford but avoid the latest (ergo, most expensive) models.

woodchip 19:36 11 Mar 04

celerons have had there teeth pulled. So they cannot chew anything

mysterious_543 19:39 11 Mar 04

A couple fo people called them weedy and toothless to theyre not the strongest then??

Would you buy a laptop with a celeron in it??

byfordr 19:40 11 Mar 04

No! But on your budget you will be hard pressed to find much.

R

mysterious_543 19:45 11 Mar 04

ok then. Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…