celeron processor compatible with broadband?

yogaman 11:08 22 May 06

I'm thinking of changing from dial-up to broadband, but have just been told by Tiscali that my Celeron processor is incompatible with their broadband (Pentium is required). Does anyone know if this is a general problem with Celeron, or will it be compatible with other service providers? I only bought the PC at Christmas, so the processor is an up to date model. I'm concerned now that I'm going to have to upgrade to Pentium before I can get broadband. Any advice appreciated. Regards.

woodchip 11:16 22 May 06

Yes I have a Laptop and a Desktop both with Celron Networked also. I use With BB. If it will not Work I suggest you shoose one that does. Not change you CPU

rmcqua 11:20 22 May 06

Do you know what speed Celeron you have?
Unless it is VERY slow, in general, there is no reason why a Celeron should be incompatible with broadband. OK, so it may not be as fast nor have as much cache as some "better" processors, so you may struggle to benefit from all that broadband has to offer. But, for ordinary web surfing, you should be OK.

woodchip 11:22 22 May 06

My Laptop is 2.2
Desktop 2.6

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:23 22 May 06

My Sony VAIO runs on a Celeron M 1.7Ghz and I use Demon 2Mb broadband without any problems. Whether the "M" processor makes a difference I do not know. However the wife uses a lowly e-machines 1.1Ghz celeron on her desktop and uses the same broadband as we have a wireless router.
So it appears that a Celeron will work with Broadband(Demon anyway,cannot see why it should not work with others)
Out of interest Demon home unlimited 2Mb @ £19.99/month. Has been very reliable since I signed up in August2005.

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:26 22 May 06

Download speeds on her 1.1 Gig celeron are the same as on my AMD 64 2.2 Gig

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:29 22 May 06

Obviously its a bit slower installing stuff after download but it's not that bad at all.

pj123 11:50 22 May 06

According to Tiscali FAQs it says:

"What do I need in order to be able to use Broadband?

PC
Processor PII 233 MHz or higher

32MB RAM
Four-speed CD-ROM player
Video card/display 800 x 600, 256 colours
150MB free on your computers hard drive
Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000 Professional or XP. Macs are compatible with Broadband but are not supported by Tiscali. For more details click here.
A USB port that can supply 500 ma (a rectangular port/plug approximately 12mm wide x 4mm high that allows you to plug in peripheral devices such as modems, printers, MP3 players, webcams etc.)"

Don't know much about Pentium or Celeron processors as I have always had AMD Athlon processors.

So, is a Celeron 1.7Ghz higher than a Pentium 233Mhz?

Taff™ 11:56 22 May 06

This has got to be a wind up. A Celeron processor, presumably in a new computer bought at Christmas? Of course it`s up to the job. I`ve got computers that are 10 years old using broadband albeit on 1Mb download speeds.

Devil Fish 12:00 22 May 06

yes a 1.7ghz celeron is faster than a 233mhz pentium

yogaman

a celeron chip is a budget version of pentium and i cant see why you were told it is inncompatble with broadband and it is considerably higher than 233 pentium which is the minimum spec

Stuartli 12:36 22 May 06

In fact some ISPs list a minimum of a 200MHz Pentium...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…