Celeron or pentium,

willo500 17:18 23 Apr 06

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the advantages are of the pentium over the celeron processor and if they actually make any difference in the real world? I use my pc for photography usually but notice that celerons are used quiet a bit on cheaper pcs.

I suppose I am wondering if they are good buys or not

Willie

DieSse 17:30 23 Apr 06

Basically, Celerons are less powerful. Compared to a Pentium, they have slower FSB speeds (so communicate with RAM slower), and smaller caches (the cache is ultra high speed memory actually on the processor chip, which runs much faster than normal RAM - so the more of this there is, the faster things go, in general).

So essentially you get what you pay for - whch doesn't make them good or bad buys. Your comment that they are found on cheaper PCs is exactly because the Celerons are themselves cheaper.

Totally-braindead 17:35 23 Apr 06

Celerons are Intels budget chips the same as Semprons are AMDs budget chips. They have less cache which makes them slower than the full Pentium version processor. Are they quieter? I'm not sure. They are slower to process things than the full Pentium. How large a difference you would see I'm unsure.

Stuartli 17:52 23 Apr 06

These may help:

click here

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:09 23 Apr 06

It will make no difference for what you need the computer for. Get a celeron and with the money saved buy an external hard drive which will be of much more use.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…