Celeron or P4.

grainish 18:33 16 Jul 04

I gave my Packard-Bell P4 laptop ½ a glass of lemonade the other night and now find it does not work. :(

I am claiming off my insurance co for a new laptop, The model I have is no longer available and the shop said the nearest equivalent has a Celeron processor.

My question is should I hold out for a laptop with a Pentium 4, 2.8GHZ or is the Celeron 2.8GHZ so near the same I would not notice the difference, or to put it another way what is the difference between the two processors? (from a users point of view)

Main uses for laptop are Word, Excel, broadband internet access, photo storage.

TIA.

Diodorus Siculus 18:41 16 Jul 04

There is indeed a difference in performance and hence cost but whether or not you would notice it is hard to say.

I would prefer the PIV and you may be able to get one if the original machine had a pentium.

SimianBenzoate 23:01 16 Jul 04

if you have the choice, p4 over celeron...

celeron is ok for most menial tasks but anything else...

i run seti at home on 2 computers, a 2ghz pentium takes around 3.5 to 4 hours, a 2.2ghz celeron takes over 10...

so depends what you use it for really..

Cindylou 02:19 17 Jul 04

Definitely go for the P4 as Celeron might be Ok for minimal tasking but it is the cheaper chip. I should know because a few years ago I bought a cheaper end of scale PC with a Celeron chip with no end of trouble. I now have an upgraded PC with complete new motherboard and an AMD Athlon 2.5 and I am very happy with it, but if you have the opportunity go with the P4 but you may have to pay a little extra considering it was your error not the manufacturer's.
cindyLou

Stuartli 08:27 17 Jul 04

The Pentium is the class act, the Celeron the basic, down to earth workhorse.

For most applications you probably won't notice any difference but if, for instance, you have intensive video or graphics use then you most certainly will.

byfordr 09:37 17 Jul 04

If you get a choice of what to get go for Pentium, Celeron is rather weeedy...

If you get a choice of what machine to go for this may be of interest. Did notice in a review for Hewlett Packard Compaq nx9105 in a computer mag this month click here £760 inc vat plenty of trimmings (cd burner, dvd, wireless 60gb hd, Athalon XP-M 3000, 512mb ram + graphics)

May be worth a look...

R

grainish 22:23 17 Jul 04

Thanks everyone for the info, very helpfull.

As there is no exact match for the dammaged laptop I am now trying to decide which combination of features to go for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…