CDs written as read only

bravo charlie 21:55 05 Feb 04

Each time I copy a file from my hard drive to CD it becomes a read only file, even if it has not been saved to the C drive as read only.
Consequently I cannot save any changes I make to these files.

Can anyone advise me on the actions I need to take to copy these files in a way which enables me to make subsequent changes to them. My system is Windows XP.

DieSse 22:04 05 Feb 04

It's because CD files are Read Only by their very nature.

To ammend them, you need to copy them to your hard drive, remove the Read-Only attribute, then you can work on them and re-save them to a CD.

CDs, even CD-RWs are simply not at all like floppies or hard drives - their file stucture does not permit rewriting of ammended files in the same way.

arricarry 22:18 05 Feb 04

This is where a Zip drive is so handy. You can play with your files until they are complete and then archive them to a CD. Then reformat the Zip.

bravo charlie 13:46 06 Feb 04

Thanks to both of you for your help. I guess each day I learn a little more!

Stuartli 14:24 06 Feb 04

Have you closed the disk after burning or adding to a CD-R or CD-RW in multisession form?

bravo charlie 16:54 07 Feb 04

"Have you closed the disk after burning or adding to a CD-R or CD-RW in multisession form?"

I'm not sure how I would do that. The files I copied had been saved on my hard drive (not as read only). I simply copied them to a CD-RW using Windows Explorer.

anchor 17:01 07 Feb 04

As DieSse said, if you need to amend them, copy them back to your hard drive, and change the read only attribute. If you have lots of files to change, then this little free programme will do a whole folder in one go.

Read Only application:

click here

scroll down to the last one.

Stuartli 17:34 07 Feb 04

In Nero, which I use, when using multisession mode, you can finalised the disk when it will be full after you have finished burning the current session.

You have to check the Finalise box to ensure that a disk is finalised.

anchor 17:52 07 Feb 04

The file copies on the CD, (either CD-R or CD-RW), will be read-only, irrespective if the disc is finalised or not.

As DieSee says:

"CD files are Read Only by their very nature".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…