Cd's will not play on any drive

torroxtown 22:58 27 Jul 09

Using XP home I seem to have a problem that every CD I try in my CD or DVD drive cannot be played as a message comes up saying dirty CD or similar.
All CD's indicate error whilst trying to play yet USB audio system is fine.
Have tried updating drivers but no success.

Have tried various media packages---VLC, Windows Media, Nero, Real Player but all indicate a fault.

I cannot believe that both drives have suddenly gone faulty.

Anybody any ideas please

Stuartli 23:20 27 Jul 09

Try Uninstalling the optical drives in Device Manager and then Rebooting.

Windows should Find New Hardware and Reinstall the basic CDROM drivers.

Stuartli 23:27 27 Jul 09

One other point. From My Computer>highlight a drive>right click>Properties>Hardware tab>select the particular drive from the menu>Properties>Properties tab>Ensure that the Enable digital audio on this device box is ticked.

Check that both drives have the feature enabled.

woodchip 23:47 27 Jul 09

I Think this is a Registry Problem

rdave13 23:57 27 Jul 09

Easier option first. Try system restore to a highlighted restore point to when the drives worked ok.

Newuser4165 10:16 28 Jul 09

There is a problem in XP which Microsoft are aware of.There is an article on MS website covering this problem but I can't find it at the moment but it's essentially as follows :-

If an optical drive encounters more than 6 read/write errors then the drives will no longer work.
If I remember correctly then all you need to do is to remove the IDE controller in device manager to which the "faulty" drives are connected . Reboot and the drives will now be OK.

Stuartli 11:00 28 Jul 09

You are probably thinking of a reversion to PIO from DMA. See:

click here

The reset DMA file is the easiest way to do it rather than manually.

torroxtown 22:38 28 Jul 09

Thanks Rdave13 and woodchip-- I tracked the problem to an auto Registry cleanup programme and decided a restore was easiest and that cured the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…