CDs don't autorun on Win XP

chub_tor 19:18 10 May 04

Something has changed over the past few days and I can't get audio or data CDs (or DVD's for that matter) to autorun on insertion. I have checked with Tweakui Paranoia, opened up Properties on my CDRW and DVD and all parameters seem to be as they always were but no discs automatically start as they used to. any suggestions welcome.

cycoze 19:21 10 May 04

Download and run the Microsoft AutoPlay Repair Wizard from click here .

mole44 20:07 10 May 04

thanks thats solved a problem i had

chub_tor 21:53 10 May 04

Tried that on both drives with no success. TEst results say that the device may not be working and the problem cannot be resolved. I can make both the drives operate manually it's just autoplay on insert that doesn't work

woodchip 21:57 10 May 04

If you have a full XP disc go to Start\Run and type sfc /scannow then press enter with the XP disc in the comp

hugh-265156 21:58 10 May 04

try this:

click start/run and type regedit

navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom

in the right pane look for "autorun"

double click it and set the value to 1 to enable and 0 to disable

woodchip 21:58 10 May 04

on the other hand you could look to see if you have a old restore point that take you back before the prob

chub_tor 09:39 11 May 04

Thanks guys, I did eventually use a very oldrestore and got it working again, unfortunately the system stuck and wouldn't let me return to a later one. I am now re-installing all the programmes I have added since March 15! Nevertheless Autoplay is working again. Thanks

Stuartli 10:27 11 May 04

You could have gone to My Computer>Explore and right clicked on your D drive to bring up a menu - on the panel which comes up via Properties is an AutoPlay tab which you can set to your preferences.

chub_tor 12:41 11 May 04

I found the culprit which stops Autoplay, it is X-OOM CD Clone 4.5 if I uninstall it the autoplay works, when installed it stops it. Thanks to all this matter is now resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…