CDRW Not Recognised

DoctorButcher 07:59 14 Dec 04

I have got up this morning to an email from my mate asking for help in solving a problem he has with his PC. I'm going to go over later but suggestions & advice welcome beforehand. Heres his problem-

Using windows 2000 professional, and it won't recognise that he has a CD burner as the master device on the second IDE channel. It's recognised in the BIOS as being the secondary master, but when windows opens up, it's not appearing either in "My computer" or "device manager". In fact the "add hardware wizard" doesn't even give him the option to add a cd rom drive at all.

He has backed up all his essential files onto CD, using Windows 95, as it was on as a dual boot, and it had no problems seeing that the CDRW was there. He then did a clean reinstall of windows 2000 professional to see if that would fix the problem but W2K still refuses to see it...

He lives in a high-rise and he's ready to throw the thing from his window (17 floors up!)

Any ideas??

john-232317 08:37 14 Dec 04

Sounds like a driver problem, go to burner site and download win 2000 driver for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…