CDRW not detected

martjc 13:47 06 Oct 04

If I put a disk in my CDRW WinXP fails to recognise it. However, (sometimes) if I switch off and the re-start with the disk in the drive it's o.k. Can anyone help, please?

xania 15:04 06 Oct 04

The fat that it works sometimes but not always implies either a loose connection or a filing hardware device. When you first boot up, does the POST see the CDRW as an IDE device. If not check to ensure that you have a firm connection both ends of the connecting cable. If there are no lights showing on the CD during boot-up, also double check your power connector.

martjc 17:46 06 Oct 04

...Pretty sure it's a software problem - possibly in registry. Did not explain that the problem is on two different drives - CDRW & DVD.

BurrWalnut 19:21 06 Oct 04

Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.

If nothing HAS BEEN CHANGED OR ADDED then run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If if doubt backup the registry first (Win98) or make a restore point in WinME and WinXP.

johnpr 19:33 06 Oct 04

I had a similiar problem caused by upgrading 98se to XP,

After a clean install of XP everything worked fine

TelFen 23:25 06 Oct 04

I have spent countless hours trying to solve the same problem. Both my DVD ROM and CDRW are recognised in the BIOS and in Device Manager. Windows says they are working OK. Uninstalling and allowing XP to reinstall sometimes works until I re-boot, then they may not work. The DVD ROM says "please insert a disk into drive x"; the CDRW opens a window but doesn't display any files.
I have installed a new Liteon DVD burner as the master drive and put the DVD ROM as slave. Same results.

JonnyTub 00:49 07 Oct 04

uninstall the drives via the ide channel they sit on. ( through device manager)

martjc 13:10 07 Oct 04

...Both my CDRW and DVD drives are visible in My Computer and Device Manager. Now both refuse to register ANY disk. Have tried uninstalling them. No joy. have tried Microsoft Support. No joy there. I'm sure this must have happened to someone else. Help!

aceofbass 14:03 07 Oct 04

Have you recently installed software for a USB flash drive ? Sometimes the drivers conflict with those in the operating system and can cause CD drives not to be recognised. Uninstalling the flash drive software rectifies the problem.

BurrWalnut 14:23 07 Oct 04

Download this little program click here

woodchip 14:26 07 Oct 04

Have you tried running SFC /SCANNOW from the Run under start

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…