CDRW drive only showing up in XP as CD-R - Help!

stuartglenda 23:43 24 Nov 06

My CD/DVD-RW drive isn't recognised by Windows (XP Media Centre) as a writer - only a standard reader. In Explorer I don't have the option oof sending files to a blank disc in the drive. In Windows Media Player if I go to 'Burn' it tells me no writing drives are connected.
BUT if I download Nero (7)- I can burn through Nero. Someone suggested re-installing XP in case a component was missing - I have today but no difference. Drive definately works on other machines.

I don't know if this is relevant, but it shows up as being the H drive rather than the ussual D drive in explorer. This is driving me crazy and any advice would be much appreciated.

M.board is ECS Elitegroup P965T. I have no floppy or other CD drives connected. There was a multi card reader - I tried disconnecting this to see if that would bring the CD drive down to being drive D (where part of it was), but no change - that just left me with drives C (HDD) and H (CD drive. Thanks.

Stuartli 00:09 25 Nov 06

If you go to Windows Media Player's Tools>Options>Devices>highlight your rewriter>Properties>Recording tab> you can then configure it to Enable Recording on this Drive.

An optical drive is an optical drive, whether it's a ROM or rewriter, hence the reason that only the basic Windows CDROM driver is installed.

In Device Manager your drives should be listed in full as to make and model.

Stuartli 00:12 25 Nov 06

Re the drive letters. Disconnect your multi-card reader and then, via Device Manager, uninstall your rewriter and reboot.

This should reinstall it using the correct drive letter.

stuartglenda 00:19 25 Nov 06

Stuartli, thanks for your advise but that didn't work. I'm ok going through till "highlight your rewriter>Properties>" but this isn't bringing up a recording tab, only an "audio" tab. Under this is:
Playback: digital or analogue
Rip: digital or analogue
I don't know if this is maybe something to do with my version of WMP (10), but I guess it is just not recognising the recording capabilities of the drive.
It is all brand new but the company (Cyberpower) can't seem to figure it out. They sent out a new CDRW drive, had me check the connector cable, and then had me reinstall XP and also try using Nero. I can use Nero but I'd rather have it sorted to burn CDs just using XP as well (partly because I only have the trial version of Nero)

Thanks again for your help. Any more ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:19 25 Nov 06

My computer - right click drive - select properties - recording tab - tick enable recording on this drive.

stuartglenda 11:55 25 Nov 06

Thanks Fruit Bat, but when I right click the drive from My computer and select properties there is no 'recording' tab (only general/autoplay/hardware/sharing)

I dont know if this is relevant but when there is no disc in the drive it is named "DVD-RAM Drive".

When I follow your instructions to the point where I select properties and get the general/autoplay/hardware/sharing tabs, if I select hardware, then select "Sony DVD RW AW-G170A SCSI CdRom device" from the list then select properties from there it still has nothing about recording, just the following tabs: "General/Properties (again, nothing about recording in here)/DVD Region/Volumes/Driver"

Any more thoughts?

Many thanks

stuartglenda 11:57 25 Nov 06

Also, again I don't know if this is relevant, but My Computer shows a floppy drive (drive A), but there has never been one present.

VoG II 11:58 25 Nov 06
  Stuartli 12:03 25 Nov 06

I have the same DVD rewriter and it's listed in full in Device Manager and correctly as a DVD-RAM drive in My Computer; my DVD-ROM drive is also properly titled in both instances.

stuartglenda 12:38 25 Nov 06

VoG - Brilliant! Thanks - I am so nearly there! I followed the instructions on that link and everything is fine now from explorer - I can now burn cds from explorer. However, Media player still wont recognise the recording ability of the drive - in the drives properties in WMP it wont give me a 'recording' tab.

Thanks for your help - any advice re. the WMP problem would be brilliant. Thanks again

GroupFC 12:57 25 Nov 06

Book marked!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac