cdrw drive only recognised as a cd drive

Ravic 10:24 16 Mar 03

I have a Gateway 866- Pentium 3-Win98SE.
I originally had a Phillips CD-RW and was using Easy CD Creator V5.
Windows suddenly stopped recognising it as a CD-RW drive.
I tried uninstalling the CDRW and re-installing it - NO LUCK !! I then tried to restore my system from Roxio's Go-Back, but the file was obviously lost before the dates I could return to.
I then thought maybe the CDRW drive itself was faulty so I purchased a new one (AOpen 52X24X52), and fitted it okay. But the P.C. still didn't recognise it as a CDRW drive only as a CD drive. It came with Nero software so I installed that too and that caused even more problem as I hadn't uninstalled Easy CD.
I phoned Gateway's helpline and they said that the Windows file was probably corrupted and all I could do was reinstall Windows - which I am loathe to do !! As the CDRW is not working I couldn't back up all my important files.
I have now bought an external Hard drive so I can at least save my files.
Is there any way I can write to the sys. files or whatever? to repair it? I don't know what file I am looking for so I don't know where to start.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

3aspect 11:03 16 Mar 03

Click start,run & in the run dialog box type sfc
this will start up the system file checker and will repair/renew any corrupt system files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…