CDRW Drive Installation

SURVEY 11:07 04 Nov 05

A friend pesently is running a slow computer that runs XP Home (just!). The computer has a CDROM Drive. She wants a CDRW facility. What is involved in removing the present Drive and inatalling a CDRW drive (Connections & drivers).

Also any recommendations? I note that PC World seem to have these as cheap as £17 now online.

A DVDRW drive is more expensive - is this normally slower and would there be any diference in installation apart from the drivers?

plsndrs3 11:23 04 Nov 05

Personaly, if the PC is already running slow, I wouldn't add the 'burden' of a CDRW drive - and a DVDRW is going to be even more system resource hungry.

I think that the first thing to do is to get the PC running more asmoothly before adding anything. Have you run ad aware, spybot, scanned for infections/trojans?

Paul

ACOLYTE 11:29 04 Nov 05

It may be worth while posting the sysytem spec of the pc,if its a decent spec model then there may be other things slowing it down.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:18 04 Nov 05

Changing CDROM for CD RW or DVD rw will not use up more resources.

just use the slowest burn rates certainly no more than x4

For £30 for a DVDRW its not worth fitting anything else as it will also read and write CDs.

How to install a front loading drive (with pictures)
click here

SURVEY 14:25 04 Nov 05

Thanks all for your comments. I have just transferred some files from my friend's computer using an external CD rwiter that I happened to have. These transferred quickly much as Fruit Bat suggested.

I have recommended a DVDRW drive but I think now that mmy friend may be considering a new computer as the deals from the likes of Dell are very good.

If she does go the route of replacing her internal CD ROM drive for a DVDRW - what is actually involved?

De Marcus™ 14:32 04 Nov 05

"If she does go the route of replacing her internal CD ROM drive for a DVDRW - what is actually involved?"

Not a whole lot if it's a straight forward replacement, you just make a note of where the cables and jumpers are on the back of the old cd-rom and tansfer them to the DVD-RW, or you can just follow Fruit Bat /\0/\'s 'click here'.

ACOLYTE 14:36 04 Nov 05

So it wasnt slowing down at all then?

SURVEY 14:57 04 Nov 05

Acolyte - her computer has limited memory and very little hard disk space left. It does run slowly. However burning to my external drive did not take too long.

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…