CD/RW

taffyal 21:30 23 Oct 04

Since having XP, I have had trouble with my AOpen CRW5224. Sometimes it would work, often it wouldnt!! I decided to let Device manager uninstall & reinstall it, as it insisted it had the best driver. Now it thinks its a RICOH Firmware downloader. Any ideas why this should be? Cherrs from a very puzzled Al

taffyal 22:44 23 Oct 04

What an idiot!! I restored- for once it worked- & back to normal! Still not working right though!Al

Strawballs 23:42 23 Oct 04

what burning software are you useing inc version

taffyal 23:56 23 Oct 04

Nero, came free with the cd/rw. Not sure of version. Thanks, Al

skidd 01:57 24 Oct 04

You do not need any drivers for your system to recognise the drive. It is the software (Nero etc) that determines the type of drive you have installed and what it can do. Did you do a firmware at some stage? Older AOpen drives were basically rebadged Ricoh units but if you firmware upgraded them they tended to come up as Ricoh Firmware Downloader and then were buggered!! My suggestion is give up and buy a new writer (Liteon are the best value)

THE TERMINATOR 02:24 24 Oct 04

Launch Nero and on the pull down menu's there is one for Help, click on this and then "About Nero" from the menu, and this should tell you which version you have. Goto Device manager and delete the drive from windows and then let windows reinstall the drive. Before you use Nero again try to copy a cd(XP supports cd writing and should copy a cd) this should determine wether it is your drive or the software that is at fault....T

taffyal 16:15 24 Oct 04

Skidd: I had indeed tried to update a driver from a web, thinking that the old one wouldnt work on XP- trying to run before I can walk!!But the restore got it back to its usual stupid self! Terminator:Found the version, 5.5.9, & reinstalled. It did record using windows, so it seems that the unit is OK. Am now downloading an update from Nero to version 5. Do you think this may help? Sorry late replying, PCA wouldnt come up on browser today, though everything else did- finally got here by clicking on the notification email link, so am writing this in foxmail!! Many thanks to you all for your help, I know I try things I dont understand, but its the only way to learn!! thanks again, Al

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…