cdrom won't read Disc

Sheps 11:18 21 Jul 05

Hi ya All,
Can anyone shed some light on my problem please, i've just upgraded my pc to xp from me, i put quite a lot of work onto cdrw disc's before the upgrade, i've just popped a disc in and it is not reading it, nothing is happening i just get a window pop up saying insert disk, Which i've already done, ANY IDEAS??????
Thank you in advance
Sheps

Technotiger 11:29 21 Jul 05

Hi, XP is a bit fussy about some CDRW drives. Make sure your XP is fully updated to cope with your particular drive - or make sure that your CDRW's driver is up-to-date. I think that not all CDRW drives are compatible with XP.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Sheps 11:35 21 Jul 05

Hi Technotiger,
Where will i find these updates for xp or my cdrw? I'm quite new to all of this technical stuff!!!!. Do i have to get the driver disk for the cdrw to update this online?

Technotiger 11:40 21 Jul 05

Hi, Yes - you answered your own question - also have a look at the Microsoft XP update site at click here

Welcome to the Forum! If my suggestions don't help, just hang-on in there someone else will be bound to add their ideas too.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Sheps 11:44 21 Jul 05

Thanks Technotiger, you've been a gr8 help, i'll have a go now, and i'll let you know how i get on, i hope i can do it, the stuff on the cd is fairly important and i need to get access to it.
I'll be in touch later.
Thanks everso
Shep's

pj123 12:05 21 Jul 05

What did you use to burn the data to the CDRW disk? If it was InCD you might need it on to read the disk. I don't have XP but I believe it has a built in burner from Roxio. Unfortunately, from what I have been told, Roxio and Nero/InCD don't like each other on the same PC so you may have to disable Roxio first.

Sheps 12:09 21 Jul 05

hi pj123,
I did burn it on nero/incd (me), and i still have the same cdrw and software, how do i disable Roxio???
Cheers
sheps

jack 12:11 21 Jul 05

It is conflict time as has been mentioned.
CDRW's are very fussy - and oft as not will not read anywhere exept on the setup they were created on.
So be sure the patches for the burner are uptodate for the [new to you] operating system - go the to drive makers website here- and download the patches
BUT- if you are new to it all it may pay to seek help because once downloaded and intalled onthe CD drives firmware- it is not 'uloadable' if you have got it wrong as on your normal 'C' drive.

Technotiger 12:14 21 Jul 05

I agree with pj123 - I use XP and I used to use Nero, but I discarded Nero in favour of Roxio which I prefer. I still had to update my Roxio though. The only sure way to disable Roxio is to uninstall it, in favour of Nero if that is your choice.

Cheers.

Sheps 12:40 21 Jul 05

Hi guys,
Well thanks for your help and advice, do you think the easier option for me is to uninstall my nero, and then use the Roxio? once i have uninstalled nero, and i go to burn a disc, where will i find the roxio software? is it with the media player. Sorry guys you probably think your dealing with a real thicky!!
Thanks again
Paula (sheps)

Technotiger 12:45 21 Jul 05

Having started with Nero, I think you should stick with what you know. Roxio is not a free program - I have the full boxed version.
We do not think you are a 'thickie'. We were ALL
learners/beginners at one time. Come back and ask as many questions as you like - how else can you learn - this is the very Best Forum and the place to get your answers.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…