cdrom problem with xp

drayton 09:15 18 Nov 04

after doing system restore on winxp pro my cdrom has packed up. The device manager shows yellow '?' have tried uninstalling and reinstalling cdrom but it says problem installing. Have tried undo system restore but still no cdrom. (system restore was to do with unrelated problem (adsl)
thanks for any help

mark3110 09:24 18 Nov 04

Hmmmm I had a similar problem with the wifes Emachine, the only way I could get it to work was by doing a complete re-installation!!

But I suppose you could try opening up the pc and connecting the CD to another Plug!

Regards

Mark

Stuartli 11:50 18 Nov 04

It could be loose or incorrectly connected leads or cables or the laser has packed up.

Unlikely to be the driver as CD/DVD-ROM drives and rewriters only require the basic Windows CDROM driver, which is installed automatically.

Try another drive using the same connections - if it works OK then the drive has gone kaputt.

drayton 20:04 19 Nov 04

tried connecting another cdrom. still no joy, when in device manager it says 'windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver maybe corrupted or missing (code 39)'

have looked at code 39 but not much help there.
thanks

Stuartli 09:32 20 Nov 04

Then you will probably need to run System File Restorer (SFC) - you will probably need to have your XP disk handy.

To save typing, either key in SFC into Help and Support's index or follow the guidance at:

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:10 20 Nov 04

Yellow mark in device manger = driver problems not faulty drive.

Is the CD on the IDE cable on its own.

I.E. harddrive primary master, CD secondary master.

Try uninstalling and re-installing the appropriate IDE channel

drayton 11:27 20 Nov 04

how do I uninstall & reinstall IDE channel.
thanks

Dorsai 11:58 20 Nov 04

control panle>system>Hardware tab>device manager button.

Look in the list for 'IDE ATA\ATAPI controller'

Expand the section (click on the + sign)

Chances are the cd is on the 'secondary IDE channel', as suggested above.

Right click on it, and from the drop down menu left click on uninstall. IF asked 'are you sure' click 'yes'

then reboot the PC, and Xp should automatically re-install it.

drayton 19:11 20 Nov 04

tried uninstalling & reinstalling IDE channel still no good.
still no adsl either

drayton 11:00 21 Nov 04

tried sfc/scannow but got 'windows cannot find 'sfc/scannow'

JIM 11:23 21 Nov 04

do you have a cdr-rw drive as well? Has that got the yellow exclamation mark, any problems?

If you do have cdr-rw,does it show Recording in the properties box when opened via my computer.
The reason for ?'s is that i will post a registry fix that should/will bring back your cd/rom but may or poss not give you or show the winxp recording option in the cdr-rw afte.

Does not stop you from recording with nero or other software.

"Would export the key left pane side via Edit tab(in registry window before change if you need to restore." Save it to where you know it will be found.

Restore Missing CD or DVD Drive.

Reports have filtered in that CD or DVD drives will suddenly cease to exist in XP systems.

Most often this has been reported in conjunction with program installations and

Windows upgrades, but it has also happened for no apparent reason.

This tweak will restore the missing drives after a reboot.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class

Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]

Note!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the "data values."
Exit Registry and Reboot

Jim.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…