CDROM not recognised by my Sony Vaio notebook

Chris69 15:17 05 Oct 04

I'd be greatful for any ideas - I've tried solving this myself for over a year but to no avail.

I have a Vaio PCG-Z600NE. Ages ago I upgraded the OS from the supplied Windows 98 to Windows ME, using the Sony downloads for drivers etc. For ages all worked fine.

But now the Viao won't recognise the Sony PCGA-CD51 CDROM originally supplied.

When I start up, if I go to My Computer/CDROM Drive E, the drive wirrs but the screen reports an empty drive - whatever CD I put in it (including Sony support CD).

I've tried "unplug hardware" and taking out the card and then putting it back in.

Under control panel/system/device manager/CDRom is shown a Toshiba CD-ROM XM-7002BC. Properties for this reports device working properly. Driver reports Microsoft Consumer Window Pubisher driver. If I try to update driver it searches but reports : best driver already in use at C:Windows\inf\MSCDRom.inf

Under Control panel/system/device manager/PC card is shown Sony 168bit Atapi PC Card at location 0 on Ricoh RL5C475 cardbus controller.

Any ideas ?

Also (and not sure if this is linked) if I don't plus in the USM floppy dribve befre starting the computer, it doesn't start but hangs.

In all other respects the computer appears to work fine ! I've Norton AV installed and updated and it says I'm virus free !!

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:31 05 Oct 04

Cd whirrs for 2 secs and stops windows reporting no disk in drive?

Sounds like the laser in the drive is kaput not reading disk. Try using a cd lens cleaner but probably u/s.

Is machine recognized in BIOS , can you boot from CD. If seen in BIOS but can't boot (bootable CD)then as above.

Chris69 17:18 05 Oct 04

Thanks for the suggestions Fruitbat !

Windows appears to report a Cd in the drive - but always report it as empty ... But will try the lens cleaneranyway.

How do I check if it is recognised in Bios ? (Sorry ...)

Thanks again !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…