cdrom and DVD not working

Tamzin 16:13 10 Oct 04

i'm running Windows ME (groan!) and for some strange reason my computer has completely deleted any trace of my cdrom and DVD drive?
My cdrom wont even open but my DVD will....but wont play anything(light comes on but nothing!)

please help...i'm not that good yet with technical terms so needs to be fairly straight forward advice :-don't realy want to restore my system either, as it will be the 3rd time!!

thanks for any help.
Tamzin

Diodorus Siculus 16:16 10 Oct 04

Are they in the device manager?

Right click on "my computer" and choose properties. Then one of the tabs should be for device manager I think. See if they are there.

If not, you will have to look in the BIOS - when the PC is starting, you may see a message like

press del to enter setup

Do so and see what optical drives are there.

Graham ® 16:17 10 Oct 04

Have you been inside at all? The most common reason for drives 'disappearing' is a dislodged connector.

You also need to check in Device Manager. If you need help with that, please ask.

Ivor_Monkey 16:18 10 Oct 04

This click here thread might help. It did for me.

Graham ® 16:19 10 Oct 04

Whay a team!

Graham ® 16:20 10 Oct 04

Whay :-) =What

Tamzin 16:23 10 Oct 04

nothing in device manager...only floppy disc drive and c+d hard drive.

will check the inside to see if connector dislodged ;)

pj123 16:29 10 Oct 04

Have you checked the BIOS to make sure they are still detected? I have a computer in for repair that doesn't hold the BIOS info even though it is "Save and Exit". Everytime you boot the computer you have to go into the BIOS and detect again. This is normally due to the motherboard battery needing replacement.

maz2 16:38 10 Oct 04

My DVD rom disappeared last week and it was something I'd downloaded (last thing you'd expect) I put everything I'd downloaded onto cd and deleted them from shut down restarted and everything was working ok again I think it was a picture that caused the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…