cdrom drives not working

AVIDA 07:35 11 Sep 03

I've just formatted my drive and neither the cdrom or the cd-writer are speeding up when disc inserted. drive lights up but even waiting for a long time neither drive speeds up.I've uninstalled the controller drives, the've all re-installed ok. still no joy. this is same on both win 98 and xp.help required

seedie 08:13 11 Sep 03

Check to see if you've auto insert notification ticked.

Controlpanel/system/device manager/cdrom/properties/settings

AVIDA 08:23 11 Sep 03

thanks seedie
yes I have already checked and unticked them, any more suggestions, anyone please?

seedie 08:27 11 Sep 03

Ummmm ticked ?

keith-236785 10:08 11 Sep 03

if your cds worked before format and you havent been inside your pc then there is no way they wouldnt work on a standard re-install of windows.

have you installed the motherboard drivers for ide controllers and other drivers etc.

did at any time during installation your pc crash?

Stuartli 13:01 11 Sep 03

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the drives so that the standard CD/DVD-ROM Windows drivers are reloaded?

Auto insert notification is to ensure that the drive plays an audio or CD-ROM disk immediately, but could have been switched off in another application.

AVIDA 17:31 11 Sep 03

Thanks for the response, sorry for the delay.Yes the pc did crash during installation of win 2000
'detecting and installing devices on your computer' and I had been inside the pc swopping hard drives. Further delay while I backtrack and do some checking.

AVIDA 04:42 12 Sep 03

sorry for delay
checked my connections to drives, uninstalled drives again, reinstalled and hey presto fault resolved.Many thanks for replies to my plea for advice.Roy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…