CDRom drive stuck reading non existent disc

alpeshxp 15:08 05 May 07

Have a pc with a cd drive read only and a second CDRom drive which is causing me problems

The Philips CDROM drive (cd burner drive)wont open, a green light continally flashes indicating it is reading a disc even though there isnt one in the tray

The only way I can open the tray is to keep the eject button pressed when booting up my pc at which point the tray pops out, however it wont shut after that once pc is running

The only way to close it is to shut down my pc at which point the tray will return into the drive (hope that all makes sense)

It seems the drive is trying to read a disc even though there isnt one in it

Tried locating drive on my computer but doesnt show since thought it may be stuck with some software program (i have nero installed for buring cds)

Any suggestions would be good

Totally-braindead 15:17 05 May 07

If the drive doesn't appear in my computer that suggests one of two things to me. Either the drive has failed or the ribbon cable is either loose or faulty.
If the cables ok you could try physically disconnecting it, starting the PC and then shutting it down again and restarting with it reconnected again and see what that does.

Totally-braindead 15:18 05 May 07

Should have asked. This isn't a new drive is it?
Was it installed and working ok before?
If its new it could be something to do with the jumpers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now