cd/dvd drive will play dvd's but not cd's!

chucapabras 02:48 30 Jun 03

I have a Toshiba S2410-504 laptop running win xp
and all of the sudden it will not read any cd's. It will however read Dvd's. It brings out the message"windows cannot read from this disk.The disk might be corrupted or it could be using a format which is not compatible with windows". I have tried searching Google with the error and there's hardly any information about this. I am almost certain the drive is still ok otherwise it wouldn't play DVD's. I am using orlogix burning software and it crashed when I attempted to erase/format a CDRW,ever since it has the problem, I have tried removing the software, re-install the software and as a last desperate attempt I tried to use the restore disk to reinstall all the drives and leave the laptop as new only to find out I needed to restart the laptop with "C" pressed and when doing this with an external usb drive, it does not recognize the drive until windows has finished loading (catch 22!!).The external drive works fine but only after windows has loaded. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

-pops- 06:14 30 Jun 03

A DVD/CD drive (i.e. a normal DVD drive) normally has two lasers of different operating wavelengths, one to read DVDs and one to read CDs. It is possible that the CD reading laser or it associated hardware has failed. If this is so, I don't think there is much that can be done other than a replacement drive which, in a laptop, is not easy (or cheap).

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…