steve_42 19:05 27 Nov 05

help please

first thing is the system

asus k8n mobo / athlon 64 3400 processor/ winxp sp2
running three drives 1= liteon cd-rewiter
2= liteon dvd-rewiter
3= liteon dvd-rom

the problem

had trouble with the drives reading the discs somtimes will somtimes won't.the problem more severe with bought cdr/dvd discs bought at shop. the drives tend to read software disc's such as games etc but not all the time...

the drives are listed in device manager correctly and have updated all drivers accordingly. no differance made
next updated all firmware for drives from liteon,still no differance

next i re-installed windows xp and updated it via windows update again no differance

up dated nvidia chipset drivers from nvidia still no differance

went and bought new drive today as i need one anyway and that has made no differance

the problem is getting more apparent and in my computer if you remove a disc from the drives and insert a new one the system remembers the previous disc as if it was in the drive

i am beginning to think it's a mobo problem as i have tried everything i can think of ' i have tonight just updated the bios and again that has made no differance

please help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:22 27 Nov 05

In device manage check drives are they set to transfer DMA or PIO?

steve_42 19:35 27 Nov 05

drives are set to ultra dma2- ultra33

and let bios select transfer mode in ticked

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:11 27 Nov 05

Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

steve_42 21:24 27 Nov 05

thanks

but can you tell me what this will do

steve_42 21:36 27 Nov 05

just look at those reg values .
in the one you mentioned i only have lower filters

but there are 24 other values with the same last 24 digits but starting with 4d36e965 to 4d36e980 some of which have the upper filters in

do i have to go through all 24 in the list ???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:01 27 Nov 05

only this one {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

hopefully will cure your problem but dosen't hurt the system if removed, lets xp see the drives better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…