cd.dvd drive not working

ameba 12:24 13 Apr 08

Windows XP

I tried to save files on cd but it keeps asking to load disc. I have loaded disc but still ask to load a disc.
I tried playing a music cd, but again, nothing.

I tried veiwing files, pictures whatever on discs but nothing. This is the same for dvd's as well.

I recently installed and uninstalled morpheus as well as bearshare and deleted a few shortcuts from my desktop.

Would this have affected the cd/dvd drive?

The drive just is not rwcting at all when I put a disc in. Usually you hear it running but nothing now.

Appreciate any help.

johndrew 12:42 13 Apr 08

Does the indicator light come on during system boot? If so it could be the drive has failed, but you could check the power connection to it anyway, it may be a bad connection.

ameba 12:51 13 Apr 08

rebooted and green lights came on when booting.
One in cd/dvd player drive and one in cd/dvd writer player drive. Didn't stay on if that means anything?

ameba 12:52 13 Apr 08

PS. Checked connections. All ok.

MAT ALAN 12:53 13 Apr 08

uninstall the drive, reboot and let windows redetect the drive. If it does not you may have a loose cable
or the drive is dead...

ameba 12:54 13 Apr 08

How do I uninstall the drive.... :)

ameba 13:00 13 Apr 08

I found in admin tools how to uninstall drives:

HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B

And

sONY DVD RW DW -Q30A

iF i UNISTALL THEM, THE COMPUTER SHOULD FIND THEM AGAIN TO INSTALL?

They have two yellow circles with exclamation marks in them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 13 Apr 08

Uninstall and reboot windows will find new hardware and reinstall the drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…