CD/DVD Drive not working

KipperRSA 20:39 28 Dec 05

Hi

My PC has been running fine for a couple of years (windows 2000) but a few days ago my CD RW DVD RO Lite On drive stopped working. Any disk placed in the drive would not start and the game I wanted to play would give the message "insert correct disc" when I tried to launch the game from the short cut.
I presumed the drive was faulty and today bought a Lite On CD DVD RW drive. I swapped the cable over and started the pc.
Then searching for new hardware the system picked up the new drive. However, it still doesnt work. If I put a disk in the drive it wont start yet auto run is enabled, if I go to "my computer" and click on the D drive it says "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function"
I can eject the disc by right clicking on the D Drive on "my computer" so it seems to recognise the drive is there but just wont read from it ?
Any thoughts ?

Regards
Paul

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:01 28 Dec 05

Not sure if w2k will repair with

Start -run - type sfc /scannow

press enter

registry repairer click here

Skyver 21:02 28 Dec 05

Check the following key in the registry; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
If you find keys named UpperFilters and LowerFilters, delete them and reboot. If you're using EasyCD Creator or an older Roxio CD burning product it can
cause problems with CD/DVD drives.

KipperRSA 14:15 29 Dec 05

Thanks for the replies, I downloaded registry mechanic and have fixed several problems that I had but the drive still doesn't work.
"My Computer" actually recognises the disk in the drive as the current one shows FM2006 on the D drive when I put Football Manager 2006 in there.
Sometimes if I double click on the D drive FM2006 icon, it opens the other folders such as MAC and PC etc
If I click on the "PC" folder I get the message

D:\PC is not accessible
The request could not be performed because of a I/O device error

Hardware wizard says the device is working properly and it does recognise the disk in the drive it just wont read from it or allow access ?

Any thoughts ?

Regards
Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…