cd/dvd drive not auto starting

ronecc 15:14 17 Oct 04

The cd/dvd drive on my computer will not auto start.
I have to click on 'My computer', then it will start. I have clicked on 'D' drive and properties, clicked auto start and 'apply' for windows media player, but still it will not start. I have changed to 'Real Player' but it still will not auto start, with cd's or software. I have checked my cd player and windows says the device is working ok.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:18 17 Oct 04

My computer -properties -autoplay tab - select an action to perform for each type of file music / video etc. click apply.

Maccyroo 15:19 17 Oct 04

Try selecting the action to "prompt" in the properties tab.
Insert a CD with a mixture of files and see if the prompt screen opens.

If not then it is probably a registry problem.

Stuartli 15:20 17 Oct 04

Do you have a rewriter?

If so and you use Nero or similar burning programs, the software controls the opening and closing of drive doors - in fact it's recommended that you disable AutoPlay.

stalion 15:20 17 Oct 04
  bellyshere 15:21 17 Oct 04

cd auto play
To enable and disable auto run in xp, do this. Run regedit. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom. Double click the auto run Dword value and make sure it says 1 to enable auto run and 0 if you want it off. Needs reboot to effect changes.

This is for xp. Which you might not even use...

Stuartli 15:36 17 Oct 04

Should, of course, be drive trays.....:-)

Stuartli 15:42 17 Oct 04

Or, if you don't particularly want to mess around in the Registry, try altering the settings in Windows Explorer rather than My Computer.

If this doesn't work either, then it will be a case of editing the Registry.

Stuartli 16:42 17 Oct 04

One other possible reason is that the Shell Hardware Detection service has been set to Manual or Disabled.

Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services. Re-enable Automatic.

fly2hi 17:01 17 Oct 04

Same problem here and have been messing about all week with it. Cd's won't autorun in cd or dvd drive. Explorer won't show the contents of the drives. I cant acces the drives from a command prompt.
If I boot into safe mode, they will autorun and I can access the drives as normal.

I've tried all the registry fixes. I've tried microsoft repair tool. I've tried uninstall /reinstalling cd drive.

I still have a feeling that it's something to do with C-Dilla which is still on the system. Tried deleting this and ending processes, but it seems to hang in there.

The cd drive is Plextor Plexwriter. I installed Plextools Profesional but that doesn't even want to load.

I did manage to copy the PCA sp2 disc to the drive with Plextools and ISO bust it. That was before I reinstalled Plextools which won't work now.

I eventually installed SP2 in safe mode (says 'not recomended') but seems to have worked. Couldn't have done it under normal mode.

Running out of ideas now apart from complete wipe down and reinstall everything.

stalion 17:07 17 Oct 04

try a scan with this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…