cd/dvd drive not accesible incorrect function

david.h 12:02 12 Nov 03

I had this problem a couple of weeks back reformatted and downloaded a fix that jim posted.

well the problem has returned the link that jim posted on microsoft knowlege base has been removed from the ms site, i have reinstalled the latest nero 5.5 software from the web, i have all the xp updates feel this may be the cause, deleted cd/dvd and reinstalled them even nero cannot read the drives.

i insert a cd/dvd the drive spins a small cd icon appeares next to the cuser then nothing, i try to open via explorer or my computer and get the error as shown above. any help please before i take a hammer to this pc in frustration [ i do not have roxio easywriter when seem to cause a similar problem]

david.h 15:21 12 Nov 03

i can now play music cd using media player, but can not access other cd's it thinks they are all music files??

any offers on how to get xp to read program cd's
eg office cd

woodchip 15:31 12 Nov 03

Have you tried removing the drives in Device Manager and Reboot your Computer

david.h 15:39 12 Nov 03

woodchip

yes i went to system manager deleted both cd and dvd player re booted and let xp re install drivers.
problem came to light when i tried to download office xp upgrade and xp will not read the xp office cd or other program cd,s only music ones.

Lasse 16:26 12 Nov 03

I had this problem last week. I could not access my cd, cdrw or A drives on my computer. It was after I installed norton antivirus (same problem med AVG antivirus). The solution was to unistall INCD, then all the drives worked fine. I have since dowloaded the latest version of INCD (vresion 4.00) and installed it ,and everything is fine.

woodchip 16:48 12 Nov 03

Not "drivers" but remove the DRIVES then Reboot

david.h 17:10 12 Nov 03

woodchip
tried full remove still no luck,

lasse
i have reinstalled incd from the web site incd recorded cd's still work but not other CD's, i do have norton AV2003 but at present do not want to delete and reinstall in case the cd cannot be read
to reinstall

i feel the problem is find a way for xp to read no music cd's but i am lost where to start.

david.h 18:54 12 Nov 03

just found the auto run in xp registry via ms knowledge base, but found my setting was still set to autorun still stuck with the original problem

for info of others registry key is
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDriveTypeAutoRun

[check that the hexadecimal value is set at 91 to enable Autorun Feature]

woodchip 19:16 12 Nov 03

If XP burning software is still enabled NERO or any other software will not work until you disable XP software

david.h 19:43 12 Nov 03

woodchip

i have the tick taken out in the relevant tab on the cd drive properties box. nero worked before as did my two drives. Do i need to check anywhere else i have mediaplayer9 and realone free player

Lasse 19:52 12 Nov 03

Try this link it may help
http//service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/pfdocs/2002111511591536?Open

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…