CD/DVD Drive

David4637 19:54 01 Feb 05

I have a CD drive that will play/rewrite CDs I think it uses Roxi. The same drive will play DVDs but the software (WIN DVD)says it will not write. If I load Nero 5.5 (updated to latest version) will I be able to write to DVDs as well. If so will I need to uninstall these 2 software progs.
Tosh A63 Laptop XP 512MB 56GB HD. Thanks David

DMAN 20:01 01 Feb 05

depends if your drive can actually write to dvds. what drive is it?

DMAN 20:02 01 Feb 05

DMAN 20:02 01 Feb 05

phono 20:04 01 Feb 05

It is doubtful, the drive you have is most likely a DVD reader / CD-RW combination, that is it will read DVDs but will read and write CDs

DMAN 20:08 01 Feb 05

yeah phono is probably right. You do need a drive that is capable of writing to dvd.

phono 20:16 01 Feb 05

Look in device manager for the make/model of the drive and do a search on Google.

Without wishing to insult you, let us know if you do not know how to get into device manager and we can provide the required steps, just let us know what version of windows you are using as well.

David4637 16:35 02 Feb 05

Thanks for your replies. The manual refers to a CD ROM software driver and a DVD S/W driver. Does not spell out that it will write a DVD. I will try google as suggested. Thanks David

ACOLYTE 16:39 02 Feb 05

Not sure but WINDVD is DVD player software not copying software,also im not sure but i dont think you can copy/write a dvd with a dvd/combi drive they only copy cd's and play dvd's.

David4637 17:04 02 Feb 05

Thanks I think your correct. It would appear that it will play but not write to DVD. David

David4637 21:57 02 Feb 05

Tried the google option. Got a forum which was talking about my DVD drive being a play/write. Can't seem to get info to confirm the details of this drive - Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-8205. Any ideas? Thanks David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now