CD/DVD combi recognised as 2 seperate drives

thewasp 16:30 09 Oct 07

Recently my CD/DVD combi drive "disappeared" from Windows. I ran a program called XP_CD-DVD-Fix.exe and that restored it for a while.

Now under System information and Device Manager, it shows two drives

Generic STEALTH DVD SCSI CdRom Device
+
TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L532L

It plays OK but won't let me burn anything.

Any help appreciated.

skidzy 16:39 09 Oct 07

Try;

Start / My Computer / right click the cd/dvd drive and select properties/recording and tick the box enable cd recording on this drive / apply and ok.

thewasp 08:37 10 Oct 07

Thanks, but that didn't help.

I have uninstalled the stealth drive twice through Control Panel/System/Hardware but it insists on re-installing itself.

I have several programs for creating CD's and DVD's but have uninstalled them because Nero Burning ROM was responsible for this problem in the first place.

skidzy 19:52 10 Oct 07

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code, 10, 39, etc., delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

If in any doubt,please create a System Restore point first as you will be editing the registry.

Missing cd/dvd drives are normally associated with the removal of a cd burning programs such as Nero/Roxio etc.

Hope this helps.

DieSse 00:03 11 Oct 07

"Generic STEALTH DVD SCSI CdRom Device"

Looks very much like the sort of entry a Virtual CD type program would give. Do you have such a program installed?

brundle 00:11 11 Oct 07

Probably Daemon Tools; click here

Get new version here click here (don't allow it to install the sponsored tool bar), remove virtual drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos