CD/DVD burning apps preventing game installs?

popnottop 19:33 18 Dec 05

I recently had a couple of trips back and forwards to a high street shop. The first copy of Railroadtycoon 3 installed successfully but the play disk was not recognised. The replacement cds had different symtoms, the install disk setup.exe would show up in the task manager but no subsequent cd reading activity would occur.

Has any other people discovered problems with new software's copy protection preventing new installs potentially due to over zealous copyright protection?

PA28 19:46 18 Dec 05

Yes - I had this with FS2004, though I'm not sure that it had anything to do with copy protection. Go into Device Manager and find your IDE Controller (this is easy to accomplish using "view by connection" mode; it'll have your drives hanging on the end of it). Select the channel that your CD/DVD drive is on (most have it on secondary - you'll know) and have a look at the transfer mode. I solved all my problems by amending this from "BIOS default" to "PIO Mode".

Totally-braindead 20:13 18 Dec 05

I don't know if the CD burning applications are what have caused your problems. I have certainly seen this for example FEAR and Need for Speed Underground 2 will not let you play the game if certain copying software is detected but the error message that comes up is always something like " Game emulation software detected please disable". The errors you seem to have had would be more likely to be faulty disks and if that is the case I would consider you to be most unfortunate to have had 2 games disk that were faulty.

citadel 22:08 18 Dec 05

I have never had a problem with any game including recent games fear and cod2. I only have nero installed.

Totally-braindead 12:30 19 Dec 05

citadel it comes up with this warning if you have things like a virtual drive installed or programs like Clone CD. Nero does not cause this error message to appear neither does CD Creator or many other burning progs. What I have to do is delete the offending program to play the game, in my case Clone CD and reinstall it when I want to use it again.

popnottop 19:54 19 Dec 05

It is Nero that I have installed. I am inclined to believe it was faulty cds.

PA28 20:01 19 Dec 05

I also have Nero 6 but it hasn't caused me any problems that I've noticed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…