CD Writer will not work

hmmmm(the original) 15:04 06 Sep 03

My father in law has a pc which is approx 3 years old, Running Windows ME. It has a DVD drive and a seperate CD Writer. Both were installed on the computer when it was purchased. Although he has never used the CD writer for writing. It has functioned perfectly as a cd drive. Having seen the advantages od cd-r and cd-rw from myself he's decided to use his writer. Unfortunately I cant get it to work. It had Easy CD creator installed and direct cd, having only used nero and In-CD this was slightly different to me, but nevertheless easy to work out.

basically when I tried to format a CD-RW with direct cd, after 4 minutes an error message appeared, something to do with blocks. But the error message removed itself before I had time write the details down.(it was just a string of numbers and letters.) I have tried different CD-RW discs.

When I click on properties for the cd drive the disconnect box is ticked. Could this be a problem.
But it does play music CD's Fine.

I have also tried with nero's In-CD and that failed to work.

The CD Writer is an unbranded 4x4x??. Which gives you some indication of it's age.

Any ideas

rickf 15:10 06 Sep 03

Most media are much faster than 4x nowadays. Could that be the prob. As a last resort get a new cdrw, they are very cheap now.

clayton 15:15 06 Sep 03

you could download drive info this should tell you the make & model of your cdrw click here

hmmmm(the original) 15:19 06 Sep 03

Just a quick note, I won't be round there till 5pm today. So any ideas will appreciated and tested. Thanks for the info so far guys.

The Sack 15:21 06 Sep 03

even 52X media would work as the speed rating is its maximum recommended write speed, it should work with any speed below it, right down to 1x.

Check for a firmware update as the drive is probably struggling with the dye type more than anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…