CD Writer Problems

hmmmm(the original) 13:51 10 Jan 04

My fried has a cd writer on his 2 year old computer which he has never used. I think it's a 4x4x32. But I can't get it to work. Easy cd creator is installed on the computer, but when opened this message appears,

"cd copier could not locate a supported cd rom reader.

You will not be able to make disk to disk copies"

And closes.

Until recently (can't be exactly sure) it did show up whit the different drive speed in the device manager. but now only coems up as

Device type : Standard CD Rom

In the settings
Disconnect, auto insert and DMA are all ticked.

On my Computer it just comes up as "Compact Disk"

What he wants is to get it working so he can use CDRW disks to save space.

I know we'll need direct cd to do that, but we'll cross that bridge later, as it does not appear to be installed. And no disk is available,

Any ideas ?

g0nvs 14:09 10 Jan 04

He may need to update Easy CD Creator, it could be that his writer is not supported by that version installed on his PC.

hmmmm(the original) 14:17 10 Jan 04

I'm currently installing wnaspi32.dll, when i open it from inside the program files folder instead of the start menu it says this file is missing.

Can easy cd creator be upgraded for free ?

I don't know if this would make a difference but computer originally had win 98se on.

It's been upgraded to ME at some point.

Could this cause a problem ?

Stuartli 14:19 10 Jan 04

What is the Disconnect setting?

It would seem that the EasyCD program was installed at the same time as the rewriter if the device has not been used, so should be usable with it.

Obvious points are to check connections etc and, if nothing amiss, to Remove the rewriter in Device Manager, reboot and allow Windows to reinstall it and the basic Windows driver required.

Stuartli 14:23 10 Jan 04

Roxio updates can be found at:

click here

but judging by the speeds of the rewriter you mention, it's either an external model or a much older one than a two-year-old computer would have been supplied with.

hmmmm(the original) 14:30 10 Jan 04

Yes computer is older as first told. It is internal. The dll didn't work will now try removing the writer in device manager.

hmmmm(the original) 14:40 10 Jan 04

Ok, the CD is now regognised correctly in device manager.

CD Creator is version 3.5c !

hmmmm(the original) 14:42 10 Jan 04

will the updates from the website work with this older version ?

hmmmm(the original) 15:00 10 Jan 04

I'm going to try and convince him to replace the cd writer, hopefully with new software it should work.

TommyRed 16:37 10 Jan 04

I have found Nero burning software the easist to use, in fact I disabled XP's own software and installed the lastest Nero, Nero 6, which cost just over £6.00 delivered from click here about a third of the way down the page. It's OEM suite 1 which has everything you'll need on it. HTH TR

Stuartli 17:39 10 Jan 04

Your friend will find it even easier, if you get Nero, to start with Nero Express and gain experience.

The XP burner is a Roxio version and not as versatile as proper burning programs.

If you get Nero 6 (or even 5. or 5.5) you can update it as necessary from the ahead website - latest version of 5.5 is but you will have to upgrade to the previous version,, first to be able to download it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…