CD Writer problem/ mystery

Shango73 11:14 18 Dec 03

Hope someone can shed some light on this- When using roxio to burn a data disc, it would get to 100% and appear OK but when trying to open CD the burn failed (disc unusable but nothing showing as having recorded). Tried different CD brand= same problem. I uninstalled Roxio and reverted to Nero. Again cd reaches 100% with data but this time get the message "could not perform fixation", preceeded by the message "no seek complete" or "mechanism control task error". The real mystery is that the burner will record Audio (non copyrighted) CDs without any problem and it was working fine up until a couple of days ago.
I have removed Cdwriter from device manager (which didnt show an exclamation mark) and reinstalled it but no joy. The writer is an ARTEC WRR4848 and OS is WIN98 - Opinions/ advice would be most welcome. Unfortunately I dont have access to another P.C or writer to try swapping around the device

Diemmess 12:10 18 Dec 03

I think the CDWriter is the shortest lived component in common use. I suspect yours is failing/dead.

You seem to have ruled out software and installation possibilities so you are left with a hardware fault.

I hope someone will come up with something more cheerful, but the only thing I can suggest is try burning something simple at a really slow speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…