CD Writer not shown in BIOS setup

Charlie Babbage 15:07 08 Dec 06

I'm trying to help a friend. She has Windows XP Professional - rest of spec not known. Windows splash screen appears then a black and white screen advising that Windows did not load properly. None of the options on that screen will work - will not start in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with command prompt.

Went into BIOS to change boot sequence so as to reload Windows from CD-ROM and find that BIOS does not list the CD-Writer although it is physically present. No one has been inside the system unit, apart from me. My friend says that the CD-Writer worked ok until Windows suddenly started playing up.

Any advice as to how to get BIOS to recognise the CD-Writer would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 08 Dec 06

Check IDE cable to writer and at motherboard end
check power plug to writer
check IDE channels are BOTH enable in BIOS

Rtus 17:21 08 Dec 06

also check its Master /Slave jumper settings

Charlie Babbage 21:32 09 Dec 06

Thanks to advice received, have been able to get BIOS to show CD-Drive as a boot device.

However, now a problem with the floppy! Green light comes on floppy drive when computer switched on and it is shown as a boot device in BIOS. THe floppy drive has been slected as the first boot sequence. Although the floppy disc does have a boot on it, I now get the error message 'Floppy not found'. I have checked all connections. I have also tried another floppy drive but the same error occurs.

Any further advice on what to try next would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:49 09 Dec 06

1. reset BIOS to default settings

2. try powering with another PSU, I am think that PSU is dying as your drives all appear to be failing.

Charlie Babbage 11:49 12 Dec 06

... I don't understand why it might be the PSU and I can't get hold of another one to try at the moment.

Admittedly, the very first problem was that the computer would not turn on at all which would indicate PSU. I removed the cover, blew away the dust and, bingo!, it would switch on.

Reasons I wonder if it is the PSU are monitor displays ok and green light comes on floppy drive when computer is switched on and disc rotates in the floppy drive. Also CD-ROM tray comes out when the eject button is pressed.

I really appreciate all your helpful advice so far. Please let me know if there's anything else I could try before I give up!

PS Re BIOS default settings, is this the optimum settings option? I think I've tried that but will do so again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant