cd-writer drive continually spins

mugsmulligan 17:34 25 Feb 05

when i turn my pc on the cd-r drive constantly spins and when i go to my computer there is no e drive. before when the drive was avaliable it would not read any cds for burning.it is an ide cd-r/rw 8*4*32 drive. any ideas anyone?

Paul M 17:49 25 Feb 05

The CD drive should be drive D, I think

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:48 25 Feb 05

Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software.

Run regedit and navigate to registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer.

If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

mugsmulligan 14:27 03 Mar 05

when looking at the registry editor, there is no class after the currentcntrolset. the e drive reappears after restart though, it just wont read any cds placed in the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…