Cd Writer detected as standard CD drive -windowsME

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 15:06 30 Oct 05

Hiya, im at my freinds house and he has a problem with the CD writer, it identifys it as a normal CD drive, but the label on the front is marked as a CD writer.

I have checked Device manager and the label says "CD-R/RW", but in the detials tab it states it as a normal CD drive, I have tried updating the drivers, but it only says a standard CD-rom drive is compatible.

Im not too sure of the make and model of the CD writer, but if I could perhaps have some suggestions on what it could be that makes the CD writer not work, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks ~Ben~

TOPCAT® 15:29 30 Oct 05

My CD-RW wouldn't work if DMA was enabled in Device Manager settings, even though Windows did this when I installed it. Try unticking the box and rebooting and then it may work. TC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:36 30 Oct 05

Me is an old system and will only see Optical drives as CD players in device manager.

Have you tried writing to the drive with Nero or any other burning software?

woodchip 17:45 30 Oct 05

If he as not loaded any software for burning CD's then that's what it will show as

Stuartli 18:52 30 Oct 05

Optical drives are always shown as CD-ROM drives - it's because they only require the basic Windows CD-ROM driver which is automatically installed when a CD or DVD-ROM or rewriter drive is introduced.

It's the burning program such as Nero that is the "engine" of rewriters.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 19:12 30 Oct 05

To see some of my old familiar freinds here, once again like ol' times :D

I shall pass on what has been said.

Thankya, ~ Ben ~

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…