CD Writer and CD Rom

eljanno 20:08 19 May 03

Hi
I want to install a cd writer in my sisters computer, she already has a cd rom, but I am not sure where to start. I replaced my broken cd rom the other day, but I am still new to the mechanical side of thing's, its not that I dont know what to do but having the bottle to open the case and mess. So I know the basics, but I am not sure wether to add a writer as well as a rom, I need help with that guy's. or just to replace the rom for a writer. The system is win 98. Can anyone help me please.

Scott709 20:30 19 May 03

it depends what you are wanting ur cd writer to do, if u plan on copying lots of cd's it is best to add an additional writer, as this will allow you to copy on the "fly", this means that it will copy each segment of data on one cd and burn it on the other, this saves the need to save the contents af the cd to be copyed to be copyed to the HD, then burnned to cd, if u just have a writer then this means that u will need to copy the contents of the cd to be copyed will need to be copyed to the HD and then back to the writer,

Hope this hepls a little

Scott

Scott709 20:31 19 May 03

it depends what you are wanting ur cd writer to do, if u plan on copying lots of cd's it is best to add an additional writer, as this will allow you to copy on the "fly", this means that it will copy each segment of data on one cd and burn it on the other, this saves the need to save the contents af the cd to be copyed to be copyed to the HD, then burnned to cd, if u just have a writer then this means that u will need to copy the contents of the cd to be copyed will need to be copyed to the HD and then back to the writer,

Hope this hepls a little

Scott

eljanno 21:46 19 May 03

Hi, Thanks for that scott, I know that sorry I may have confused people I want to know how to connect them.
Thanks
Jan

Stuartli 21:49 19 May 03

The basics are to retain the CD-ROM as the "D" drive and the rewriter as "E"; keep the two drives apart in the front case bays if possible to aid cooling.

Add the rewriter using the secondary IDE cable connections (one will already be in use by the CD-ROM) and a spare power lead.

You should reset the jumper at the back of each drive - the choice is clearly marked. Only use the CS (Cable Select) choice if you have (unlikely) the required mobo support and cables.

A lone CD-ROM should have been set as Master - change the jumper to the Slave position.

The rewriter should be the Master and, in both cases, go into Device Manager, click on CD-ROM and then highlight each drive in turn. Enable DMA for both and, if you are using Nero, disable Auto Insert Notification for the CD-ROM as Nero controls its operation.

You will have to start audio CDs manually but this is not great problem.

It's generally better, quality wise, to burn disks via the hard drive rather than on the fly - Nero will delete the temporary file after burning.

You can also use CD-Rs in multisession form to keep small programs, utilities, files etc that you may need again in the future. They are superior to CD-RW media because of their greater reflectivity and thus more reliable laser reading.

If you are using Nero (Nero Express makes its use very easy until you get the hang of it) the Help files are very comprehensive and will resolve virtually 100 per cent of any problems you may experience.

Finally, as rewriters' life expectancy is not as good or reliable as a CD-ROM, it's best to use the latter for general purposes such as playing audio disks and downloading software.

The rewriter should really only be used for its intended purpose; it's far cheaper to replace a CD-ROM than a rewriter..:-)

eljanno 16:38 20 May 03

thanks for that much appriciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…