A CD will burn from a Hard Disk drive file but not a DVD

Diemmess 19:47 09 Jan 14
Answered

Trying to burn the image file to a DVD-R blank and had the message......

"The type of DVD-R is not compatible with the current project."

I swopped the DVD blank for a CD blank and it went through without trouble. The burner is a generic CD RW and for DVDs, it has not refused like this before.

Does a problem arise from trying to feed a DVD with data provided by a CD Is there some setting I can change to accept DVD blanks?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:50 09 Jan 14

What burning software are you using? sounds like you have CD selected rather than DVDs

alanrwood 12:30 10 Jan 14
Answer

As I understand your problem, you can't burn an image of a CD to a DVD. An image is a bit by bit, sector by sector copy and requires the same meduium to copy to as copy from

Diemmess 12:57 10 Jan 14

Thank you both.

I bought some CD blanks this morning and it all went smoothly

alanrwood's explanation could perhaps be modified in the instance where I tried to make an Acronis image of a drive, but the system wouldn't allow me to make a backup file on a smaller drive, even though there was ample free space on both

It seems ages since I last burned a blank disk. The need for such a device has scuppered sales now that sticks and hard drives are so much cheaper than they were.

Diemmess 12:57 10 Jan 14

Thank you both.

I bought some CD blanks this morning and it all went smoothly

alanrwood's explanation could perhaps be modified in the instance where I tried to make an Acronis image of a drive, but the system wouldn't allow me to make a backup file on a smaller drive, even though there was ample free space on both

It seems ages since I last burned a blank disk. The need for such a device has scuppered sales now that sticks and hard drives are so much cheaper than they were.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5