CD unreadable

sneakerman 18:07 15 Sep 06

I have a CD which has become unreadable, I can see what files are on it but when I try to access them I get an error (Cannot copy X: Cannot read from the source file or disc)

I have tried cleaning it with toothpaste and the good news is that it hasn't got any worse - but it hasn't got any better.

I am going to try and find a local shop with some sort of skip doctor machine, or may be buy one my self but I was just thinking has anyone got any advice.

Strawballs 18:09 15 Sep 06

I have one of those I got from Asda and have got some quite good results, mainly abused kids playstation discs

sneakerman 18:10 15 Sep 06

Sorry I should have said further, when I try and copy from the disc, it goes so far and gives this error, is there anyway to 'skip' the error and continue copying, at least that way I will retrieve all that is retrievable(!!!)

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 15 Sep 06

highlight all files see which is first one which will not copy, hightlight all other files and copy again, windows copies in alphabetical order.

sneakerman 23:24 15 Sep 06

I'm working on that but, the root of the cd has one folder which contains a lot of sub-folders most of which have subfolders and in toital there are thousands of files on the cd. I'm trying to search for * and trying your suggestion with just the files.

De Marcus™ 23:26 15 Sep 06

When a CD/DVD starts misbehaving like that, and you still have file structure access, try and copy one file at a time, starting with the most important one's first.

woodchip 23:32 15 Sep 06

You could try NERO, Just Copy Disc. I think NERO will try arder than Windows. CD's seem to fade over time I have some that have done the same thing. Not very good for long term storage

terryf 00:00 16 Sep 06

If you can find a PC with an older drive that will read at a lower speed, you might have sucess at reading and maybe copying data to hd then burn a new CD, I had similar probs when looking at backup CDs made on old 4x writer.

De Marcus™ 00:05 16 Sep 06

You should also give ISObuster a go.

WhiteTruckMan 01:45 16 Sep 06

Does the surface appear damaged and/or scratched?
If it does, then (and I must stress that this is strictly last resort stuff) try polishing thedisc with a cutting agent like T-Cut. Use a circular motion like you were going round in circles with an orbital sander. do it by hand for a few days if necessary. but try everything else first.

WTM

woodchip 08:41 16 Sep 06

They just fade, that's what mine did. Best way is to keep them cool and out of sunlight. In a dark place, did a lot of reading up on CD discs they all vary make type etc on how long they last.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac